This site is a source of information for those interested in joining the Tukwila Emergency Communications Team ("TECTeam"). The purpose of the TECTeam is:
- Volunteer our radio skills, equipment and experience to local Emergency Management Groups
- Train those interested in becoming licensed radio operators and help them achieve their radio licensing goals
- Build a sense of Community by hosting monthly club meetings where we will introduce club members to new technology, best practices, equipment discussions and anything else of interest to the radio operator community
One of our primary goals is to interface with the Tukwila Office of Emergency Management to provide volunteer resources which will work with the Tukwila Fire and Police in a civilian capacity
- Establish ourselves as credentialed volunteers for the City of Tukwila (click this link to download the volunteer application packet)
- Receive training and access to the city's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) located at Tukwila Fire Station 51
A major tenet of the Amateur Radio Hobby is to develop a well-trained and self-reliant group of people who are not only prepared for their own needs in the event of an emergency, but who can provide assistance to their community and local emergency resources when everything else fails.
- Participate in Local Emergency Management training events and drills
- Participate in National Emergency Management training events and drills
- Participate in FEMA and other nationally-recognized educational programs
Building a Sense of Community
We plan to get together for an hour or two each month to hear presentations from local experts on a variety of topics including (but not limited to):
- Radio technology advancements
- Radio events
- Radio buying advice
- Radio contests - test your skills against other hams!
- Antenna designs
- Digital communications
- Email over radio
- Satellite communications using ham radio
- and much much more!
This club will be a great opportunity to meet other people with similar interests and work together to advance the radio hobby and our community's Emergency Preparedness.